Labioplasty is one of the fastest growing segments of female genial plastic surgery worldwide. This is probably due to the advancement of the Internet, leading to increased exposure of the vulva and prevalence of pornography.
The labia minora begin to grow in size after the pubescent period, and women with relatively higher serum testosterone levels tend to have bigger labia minora. Enlarged labia can lead to friction when wearing tight pants, discomfort during sexual intercourse and hygienic issues. Women opt for labioplasty for these reasons or even a purely aesthetic reason.
The labia minora, just like the face, differ from individual to individual and they are not perfectly symmetrical. They vary greatly in terms of size and shape, and it is not meaningful to discuss what is considered normal. But generally speaking, they should be less than 1 inch in size. Their colors are also very diverse, ranging from pink to brown and dark brown. Some have several folds in a large clitoral hood, while others have a single fold in a small clitoral hood. In case there are large folds around the clitoral hood, this area should be operated on during labioplasty.
Patients who have body dysmorphia, or a negative body image about themselves, or who have untreated eating disorder, or who are seeking another body dissatisfaction to correct should avoid labioplasty.
At Yefine Women’s Clinic, labioplasty is carried out in one of the following two methods: lateral side linear resection and central v-shaped wedge resection. During surgery, diode laser is used for resection and CO2 laser is used for depigmentation. Also, the use of an absorbable suture material ensures fast recovery and minimal scarring. The surgery takes about an hour to an hour and a half to complete and IV sedation and pudendal nerve block are administered for anesthesia.
Characteristics of Yefine’s Labioplasty
- It causes minimal pain, making day-to-day activities possible starting on the following day.
- An elaborate design allows the labia minora to look as natural as possible.
- The use of a diode laser causes significantly less hemorrhaging and pain compared to the use of surgical blades and scissors.
- Peeling is performed during surgery to restore the original pinkish color.
- At Yefine Women’s Clinic, we do not perform surgeries that can damage the erogenous zones (e.g. hoodectomy) and try to preserve these zones as much as possible.
- Patients can be discharged immediately after surgery and can drive or use public transportation without any problems.
- Consult the doctor regarding the drugs you are taking as they may affect blood coagulation (e.g. aspirin). Stop taking such drugs at least a week before your scheduled surgery date. On the other hand, antihypertensive drugs and thyroid hormone drugs may be taken until the morning of the surgery date with a small amount of water. For all other drugs, please consult your doctor.
- Stop smoking and drinking at least 3 days before the surgery date.
- Fast for at least 4 to 5 hours before surgery. If there is a drug you must take, take it with a small amount of water.
- Inform the medical staff of your medical history, i.e. prior diseases and surgeries, and family history of diseases as well as your current illnesses incl. the common cold.
- Do not schedule your surgery date during your menstrual period.
- Come to the clinic wearing loose clothing or a skirt on the day of the surgery
- Avoid intense exercise and sexual intercourse for about 3 weeks after surgery.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption for about 3 weeks after surgery as it can cause the gaping of the surgical incision and/or delays in recovery.
- A small amount of hemorrhage may occur on the day of the surgery. If the amount of blood is more than your regular menstrual flow, contact the medical staff immediately.
- Wear loose clothing or a skirt after surgery, and take absolute rest for a week.
- You may shower when necessary, but minimal water contact is advised. Sitz bath should not be performed.
- The suture threads dissolve naturally, but if there are suture threads remaining after 4 weeks of surgery, they can be manually removed during outpatient care.
- You may feel heightened sensitivity in the area after surgery, but sensation will become normal after 2 to 3 months.
- The labia minora will be made to look as symmetrical as possible during surgery. However, during recovery, the left and right sides may not be stimulated equally and this may lead to greater swelling in either side or slight differences in size.
- Apply the prescribed antibiotic cream for about 2 weeks after surgery.